Thursday, January 15, 2015

Cambodia Bound…Join Me On My Journey


Friends,

I'd like to invite you to join me on my journey over the next few weeks.  I have the opportunity to go to Cambodia to serve with Ayuda Humanitarian for 14 days.  Our group of 9 dentists, from all over the United States, are traveling to remote regions in Cambodia that have little-to-no access to dental care.   

Our team will mainly be serving by performing restorative dental and surgical cases.  However, there will naturally be a lot of general dental hygiene procedures performed in the course of our time there.  We're incredibly blessed to have a local dentist and some of his team serving alongside us.  Even with the local resources, there are many unknowns as to the conditions we will have and the cases we will see.  

Another fun aspect to this trip is that they have asked me to be the photographer for the trip.  Let's face it….I'd be pulling out my camera at any opportunity anyway!  I'm really excited to document this experience through the lens of my camera.  


This week, I am preparing and packing up dental and camera supplies to take on my trip.  I would love your prayers as I prepare to leave next week and I look forward to sharing this journey with you through my love of photography.      

Smiles,
Cary















Cambodia Fast Facts:


  • With a population of over 15 million, Cambodia is the 69th most populous country in the world. 
  • One of the largest challenges facing Cambodia is still the fact that the older population often lacks education, particularly in the countryside, which suffers from a lack of basic infrastructure. Fear of renewed political instability and corruption within the government discourage foreign investment and delay foreign aid.
  • Cambodia was once one of the most landmined countries in the world. According to some estimates, unexploded land mines have been responsible for over 60,000 civilian deaths and thousands more maimed or injured since 1970.
  • Cambodian life expectancy is 72 years in 2014, a major improvement since 1999 when the average life expectancy was 49.8 and 46.8.

No comments:

Post a Comment